In light of the recent shark incidents that have occurred in the Whitsundays, Queensland Yacht Charters member of Dream Yacht Charter would like to personally assure you and your Charter guests that your health and safety, along with your enjoyment, is paramount to us.
While the recent incidents are very rare in the Whitsundays and extremely unfortunate, it is a reminder that exploring and sharing this spectacular wilderness area and the beautiful oceans with our fellow creatures, does pose some risks.
Due to the incidents occurring in Cid Harbour specifically we are recommending to all current and future guests that they avoid visiting Cid Harbour off Whitsunday Island until further notice.
The Department of Environment and Science are managing the situation and fisheries are patrolling the area.
Furthermore we offer this general safety advice to all Charterer’s and their guests entering the water in all areas of the Whitsundays and to remember to be mindful of the safety of yourself and your guests during your Charter.
- DO NOT swim directly from the back of the boat
- DO NOT swim at DUSK or DAWN
- NEVER swim at night
- ALWAYS snorkel with a buddy and preferably with a spotter in the dinghy
- DO NOT swim in murky water anywhere
- NEVER clean fish or discard food scraps over the side or at the back of your boat at anchorages – This is a practice that QYC and the Department of Environment and Science discourages as it habituates wildlife to seek food from the back of the boats.
We trust that while simply taking a little time to ensure your holiday is a safe one that you will also have a truly memorable experience in this unique heritage area, sailing vast myriad blue seas, enjoying the abundance of wildlife, exploring uninhabited islands and secluded sunny beaches and the wonder of endless starry night skies.
We look forward to welcoming you and your guests here in the wonderful Whitsundays.