What Kind of Boat is Best for Me?
In charter fleets around the world, catamarans are becoming more and more popular as charter boats. Hiring a catamaran offers the following advantages:
- Extra space both above and below decks. Catamarans can comfortably accommodate up to 10 people, depending on the boat’s size.
- Catamarans provide a stable platform, with little to no heeling over when sailing. And when at anchor, there is no rolling around, guaranteeing a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Catamarans have a much shallower draft than monohulls, which allows anchoring close to shore.
- Ease of handling. Most charter catamarans are set up with furling headsails and slab reefing mainsails (with lazy jacks) with all lines running back to the helm station and cockpit.
- Two engines – so if one goes, you still have the other one!
- A monohull is more streamlined and therefore easier to dock, it takes up less space, and is cheaper to dock, haul and slip.
- Monohulls manoeuvre better because you’re not dealing with two hulls. They can make sharper turns and navigate more easily through narrow channels and tight spaces.
- The higher efficiency of a monohull design presents less resistance in heavier weather.
- Due to their lower wetted surface area, catamarans are faster but it’s a bouncier ride whereas monohull designs work harmoniously with the elements.
- Power catamarans are also available for hire.
- They are a good option for people who don’t feel comfortable hoisting the sails and are proving very popular with larger parties such as families on holiday together, who want a complete holiday experience.
- Larger power cats can comfortably accommodate two families (10 people).